March 30, 2013

Alexithymia

I've noticed, especially recently, that when I'm upset or nervous, I listen to music. The more whatever emotion irritates me, the louder the music gets. So here I am, sitting in my room, with my door closed and my music so loud I can't hear much of anything else. And I can't even place what I'm feeling. I guess that's not entirely atypical, but it certainly doesn't help anything. Alexithymia.

alexithymia  a·lex·i·thy·mi·a (ə-lěk'sə-thī'mē-ə)
n.
 Inability to describe emotions in a verbal manner.

Technically, that's the definition. It's a psychological condition that keeps you from being able to verbalize emotions. And I think everyone suffers from it, to an extent. It's hard sometimes to say exactly what you're feeling. When it doesn't quite fit in general terms like "mad" or "upset" or "hurt". The English language, and most languages probably, are severely lacking in terms words to effectively express emotions. And yet we try. Personally, I find that extremely interesting.

1 comment:

  1. That's the space where the poetry should come from.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete